Tuesday marked the start of my week since I was out on Monday. Much of the day was spent providing accommodations for students as they completed their unit assessments. Many of my students require questions and answer choices to be read aloud, which led to an important discussion about whether passages themselves should also be read aloud. While teachers can provide this support during classroom assessments, it is not typically allowed on the FAST test at the end of the year unless very specific criteria are met. The process to qualify for oral presentation of passages is extensive and must begin early. A student’s IEP must clearly document a decoding deficit, include a goal to address it, and show that oral presentation is used consistently in daily instruction. Assistive technology options such as speech-to-text and recorded books must be explored, and a unique accommodation request must be submitted. In addition, data from assessments such as uPAR, CORE Phonics, SIPPS interventions, and unit tests must support the need. Because of these requirements, many students do not ultimately qualify, even if the support would benefit them in the moment. At the end of the day, our fifth-grade team met to discuss Benchmark Advance, the new reading curriculum that Orange County will be adopting to replace Wonders. It appears to be heavily focused on informational text while also providing a wide range of resources to support student learning.
On Wednesday, I worked with fourth- and fifth-grade students on fluency practice. In third grade, I supported a small group reviewing their math packet in preparation for an upcoming test. We focused on the difference between line plots and bar graphs both represent data, but line plots use X’s along a number line, while bar graphs use vertical or horizontal bars on a scaled axis. My mentee stopped by to share that her formal observation went well and that she received very positive feedback from her evaluator, which was great to hear. Later, we had another Benchmark Advance training, which reinforced information we had previously received. I used that time to help my mentee submit evidence for her second-year Canvas course. We also joked about how my classroom tends to run cold, which keeps us on our toes!
By Thursday, I was not feeling my best, but I continued working with students. I helped one student complete make-up work during her math test and began reviewing previous unit assessments with my reading groups to prepare for the FAST test. We went over questions together and discussed correct answers to strengthen their understanding. One thing that stood out to me this week was how much a teacher’s presence influences the classroom environment. In one fifth-grade classroom, the atmosphere was calm and focused, and I made sure to compliment the teacher. That kind of environment plays a huge role in student success. Later, I worked with students on identifying types of angles, and we shared a lighthearted moment when my group began giggling during reading. It was a small reminder of the joy students bring, even on more challenging days. After school, I stayed late working on IEPs and preparing documents for the upcoming week.
Friday began with my usual duty, and I quickly moved into seeing students. Although I was feeling a bit overwhelmed, I remained focused on providing services and supporting students with independent functioning and completing their assessments. One student I worked with was visibly frustrated and acting out toward the teacher. As an ESE teacher, my role is to help students regulate and return to baseline. Through patience, structured breaks, and a simple incentive, we were able to complete the unit assessment together. Later, I met with a district assistive technology specialist who provided valuable guidance on writing IEPs and requesting oral presentation accommodations for state testing. Toward the end of the day, I worked with another student who demonstrated significant avoidance behaviors during testing. Although the situation was challenging, I implemented strategies such as a break card and step-by-step support to help the student finish the assessment.
This weekend has given me time to reflect on my current role
and my overall well-being. This year has been a period of growth and learning,
and I am beginning to reflect on what role best supports both my students and
my own professional growth. I am thoughtfully considering what that might look
like moving forward.

Comments
Post a Comment