It is hard to believe school is only a couple of weeks away from ending! This week I spent the majority of my week testing, just as I will again in the coming week.
On Monday, students in grades 3-5 participated in the FAST ELA progress monitoring assessment. Students with IEPs have specific accommodations listed in their plans, and those accommodations must be followed during state testing. For more information, families can visit the Florida Accommodations Reference Guide for details about accommodations for students with disabilities.
On Tuesday, makeup testing began, along with 1:1 testing for specific students who had not yet completed the ELA assessment. My classroom A/C was also magically fixed thanks to one of my amazing assistant principals, which made a huge difference! In the afternoon, I had the opportunity to work with a student who was having a difficult time getting started. We have all been there. Another teacher stepped in to support, and I was able to observe the situation from a different perspective. It reminded me how important it is to listen to others, especially those who have worked with a student before us. Every student is different, and sometimes a fresh approach or new person can help a student re-engage. It was a humbling learning experience for me and a reminder that we are always growing as educators. At the end of the day, my principal explained student growth and how it is calculated. Students’ scores on the Florida Assessment of Student Thinking fall into five achievement levels. If a student scores a 3, 4, or 5, they must continue progressing toward the next level the following school year to demonstrate growth. If a student scores a 1 or 2, there are ranges within those levels, such as low, medium, and high. A student can still demonstrate growth by moving to the next range or level. For more information, families can visit the Student and Family Fact Sheets to better understand scoring.
On Thursday, I continued makeup testing. In the afternoon, I had the privilege of helping in a first grade classroom. It was so much fun! I love the thrill of jumping into something new and taking the plunge. I quickly realized that some students needed additional behavior support, so I created reusable token boards. Many of the other students wanted to use them too, so I made one for every student. It was a fast-paced afternoon, but it was also a lot of fun. At the end of the day, I found myself thinking about the difference between individual and whole-class reward systems. Individual reward systems, such as token boards or classroom bucks, can be helpful for some students. However, they must be used carefully so students do not feel embarrassed or singled out if they are still learning the skills needed to follow expectations. This reminded me how important it is to choose systems that encourage students while also protecting their dignity. Please visit Vanderbilt University for more information on reward systems.
I also want to take the opportunity to wish everyone a Happy Mother’s Day! I have had the privilege of having a very wise and godly mother in my life who has prayed for every single student of mine, as well as every school where I have worked, every single day I have been there. I have also come to know some incredible mothers over the years through friendships and work, and I am grateful for the opportunity to know them.
Take time to slow down, appreciate the time you have with loved ones, and treasure the students we invest in every day.

Comments
Post a Comment