Skip to main content

Week 39


The Final Week of the School Year Has Arrived...

I cannot believe we have arrived at Memorial Day weekend! This year has given me memories, lessons, and experiences that I will carry with me for years to come. Each administrator, teacher, parent, and student has left an invaluable mark on my educational journey and helped shape the teacher I am becoming.

I have learned that I will never be “just” an ESE teacher, a Support Facilitator, or a Separate Classroom teacher. I am a teacher for all students, whether they are learning in general education or in a separate classroom setting. This year helped me grow in my ability to screen students for targeted skills, analyze Tier 2 and Tier 3 data, monitor progress, and use that information to help close learning gaps.

This year, I completed training to administer Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills, also known as (DIBELS).  DIBELS is a screening tool used to monitor and detect early literacy and reading skills in students in kindergarten through eighth grade. Composite scores can help identify reading risk and guide instructional decisions.  I also used WonderWorks Tier 2 and 3 assessments and practice materials for phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension.  For Math, I used the Saavas Momentum Screener and Diagnostic System to assess and monitor skills throughout the year.  

Throughout the year, I created binders for each student to organize reading and math screeners, assessments, and intervention data. I also digitally tracked IEP goal data, accommodation logs, support facilitation logs, reading and math assessment data, and math intervention data. This year stretched me professionally, but it also helped me become more organized, data-driven, and intentional in the way I support students.

I would not have made it through this year without the support of the staffing specialists, my administration, my mom, and my closest friends. The conversations, phone calls, text messages, encouragement, and guidance are not lost on me. Some skills cannot be fully taught in a college course; they have to be learned in the field. The challenging moments helped me become a stronger, more flexible, and a more versatile teacher.

Monday, I continued working on end-of-year paperwork. In the afternoon, we had 5th grade graduation practice. We started cleaning up a wall to prepare a graduation backdrop, and then I headed to an IEP meeting. End-of-day meetings can be challenging during such a busy season, so I have learned the importance of reminders, organization, and flexibility.

Tuesday, I started the day with an IEP meeting and then served as the teacher for a 5th grade class attending Beauty and the Beast. The most important rule I learned is to always keep a good head count during a field trip! When everyone returned to school, the students ate in their classrooms, and I helped relieve teachers upstairs for bathroom breaks. I was supposed to take my own daughter to a meeting with Vocational Rehabilitation to begin transition services while she is still in school; however, the meeting was cancelled due to a family emergency. I finished the day updating data.

Wednesday, I administered makeup CFEs for students who had not yet had the opportunity to complete them. I then helped middle school classes coming to the media center return devices, check them in, and make sure students did not have fees for missing chargers. We also decorated for a retirement party for a beloved individual at our school who has left her mark on so many people over the last ten years. It was bittersweet for both students and adults alike. We wrapped up the day by preparing for the 5th grade graduation ceremony the following morning.

Thursday, I helped guide the 5th grade students after they "crossed the bridge" so they could return to their seats. I then helped with device drop-off again in the media center and finished all of my IEP progress reports for the year.

Friday started as an ordinary day but was anything but ordinary. The ESE staff worked together to make awards and prepare for the final 5th grade graduation ceremony, not only for the general education students but also for four phenomenal ESE students in a separate classroom who have become dear to my heart. I had the privilege of teaching them the year before, and it was very special to deliver their awards that morning.

I spent the rest of the day till 12:30 checking in devices in the media center.  At 12:30 p.m., I attended a training for K-2 teachers to become familiar with Benchmark Advance, the new Reading curriculum our county purchased for the upcoming school year.  When learning any new curriculum, it is natural to notice both strengths and differences from previous materials  I appreciated the small group resources and lesson structures that align with 90- or 120-minute reading blocks.  I also continue to value the diagnostic tools I have used this year to target skills.  The Wonders Placement and Diagnostic Assessment book targets phonological and phonemic awareness, letter naming and sight words, phonics and decoding, oral reading fluency, spelling, vocabulary, reading comprehension, and writing.  

Overall, this week was tiring but fruitful. It reminded me of the value of teamwork, parent appreciation, student growth, and school community. There are only two student days left in the school year, followed by teacher workdays. Monday is Memorial Day, Tuesday will include inflatable races and donuts donated by PTSA, and Wednesday will be the 5th grade party.

Thursday and Friday will be teacher workdays, and I will be packing up and heading downstairs. I am entering summer with rest in mind and memories that will last a lifetime. I am looking forward to being back in the classroom, teaching B.E.S.T. Standards, and using everything I learned this year to become the best teacher I can be.

Have a wonderful summer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 12

🌿  Week 12: Choosing Gratitude in the Uncomfortable This week, I made the conscious choice to lead with gratitude. I knew my mindset had to shift if I was going to give my best — not just to my students, but to myself. Each morning, my daughter Abby and I started our day by sharing something we were thankful for at school. It was grounding and intentional — a reminder that even in hard seasons, there is good worth naming. Monday I began the week thankful for my administration and ready to reset my mindset. A morning in-house meeting reminded me that I am not alone in collecting data and that sometimes support shows up where you least expect it. I left that meeting with clarity and a lighter load. Throughout the day, I worked across grade levels — from SIPPS decoding polysyllabic words to practicing partial differences in math to coaching students on plot structure in a leveled reader. I even stretched my comfort zone by teaching small group inside the general education classroom. ...

Week 11

  Week 11 — “Finding Gratitude in the Hard” This week, I began to feel discouraged. Every day felt heavy, and each morning I struggled to find the motivation to walk through the school doors. Monday set the tone early, and before I could settle in,the day was moving at full speed. One student started the day struggling from something that happened before he even arrived at school. His behavior reflected it all day long. Even though he wasn’t on my schedule, I had him join my 5th-grade reading group just to reset. After time to decompress, he was able to return to class calm and ready. Moments like this remind me how crucial it is to seek the  “why”  behind behavior — especially for students with autism. Everyone has hard days. He didn’t need consequences — he needed understanding and a reset button. At the end of Monday, I learned I would be completing an initial IEP for a student I’d never worked with before. I’ve never written an initial IEP on my own — all my students ...

Week 27

  Week 27 — Perspective Monday was President’s Day, so the week began Tuesday with a full schedule. A couple of my students were absent, but I was able to see all of my morning groups before lunch. After lunch I followed my typical schedule and then attended grade-level collaborative teaching groups at 2:15. We discussed data and upcoming 5th grade science test questions. After the meeting, I rushed to make copies and immediately began tutoring a 2nd grade student after school. I completed diagnostic testing before the hour ended and was then asked to meet with my mentee. She had a lot happening both personally and professionally, so I simply listened. That evening, I received frantic messages from my oldest daughter. My younger daughter, who has autism, decided to play hide-and-seek without telling anyone — and she could not be found. After searching for 30 minutes and calling family members, Abby finally emerged from hiding. It became a difficult lesson between a neurotypical sib...